Vacation

Soon, we will begin our drive from the duplex we are renting to Kansas.  Some people would have a Google map showing the planned route and leave the dates up on Facebook and Twitter so all of their friends can see where they are going and how long.  I won't be.  Do you not know that (unless you lock it) anybody can follow you on Twitter, your address is public information on the property appraiser site in your county, not everybody who breaks into homes is to poor to own a computer?

Let's say, for fun, that I Tweet "Heading to the moon this weekend with the family!".  Some people may read "House empty this weekend!".  I just checked, my Twitter profile doesn't have my name in it, but lo and behold, there is a link to my blog... yup, my full name in huge letters at the top (you can't miss it).  Twitter does say that I am in Lehigh Acres, Florida.  A quick Google search reveals that is in Lee County.  The property appraiser website shows my address, an aerial and a photo of the front of my house in seconds!  Imagine if scrolling through my Tweets that last weekend I said "Locks on front door still broken, need to fix that some time".  It doesn't take too many brain cells to determine that my house (if all this was true) is the perfect target this weekend.

PleaseRobMe.com used to compile this information to show how crazy it is to share so much information.  People are still showing their location, talking about broken locks, revealing vacation plans, making public maps on Google, ect.

So, I won't be doing that stuff.  See you in a couple of weeks. :)  Don't worry, my house is empty because we are in the duplex now.  Oh, and the locks are not broken.

Twitter
Facebook
Blog on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment