Raising Chickens

Certainly by now you have heard about the tragedy on our "farm" over the weekend.  Two chickens have been killed and eight are missing and are presumed dead.  My brother has done multiple searches in the neighboring fields and yards and thinks he hears chickens but can not locate them.  If they are hiding under bushes and things they will become real quiet when something walks by, making it extra difficult to locate them.  Tonight I hope to search the fields again and look under bushes and things.  Perhaps if I bring Scratch with me they will be more likely to come out.

The next few weeks we will be mending fences, so to say, and adding an electric fence.  It is unclear what got to the chickens but if it was anything other than some kind of bird, the electric fence will no doubt keep it from doing it again.  I've read on the Backyard Chickens forum that if your chickens run away and don't come back they aren't yours.  I see it a little differently.  The chickens were never mine.  As it is written:
 21And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. (Job 1:21, King James Version)  Though not easy, I have to remember to hold onto what the LORD gives me with an open hand.  That doesn't mean that I don't take care of the things given and when lost say that the Lord has taken away, but to remember that it isn't ours and it is the Lords to give and take.

Therefore, this next time around we will do our best to ensure the chickens are better cared for.  Never knew we had a raccoon problem until we had a raccoon problem.  We thought we were prepared and from this we are smarter.

In Other News:
It is also good to remember that man makes plans but God directs his paths.  Actually very comforting because we also know that God works all things out for the good of those who are called.  So when we have trials, we can still do our best to not worry because (not only does worrying not add another hair to our head) we can remember that God know's what He is doing and will complete all of His goals.

iGive Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment